Start the year off right by accomplishing your home improvement goals. An organized workspace can help you tackle the other projects on your 2023 to-do list. Home garages allow for safe and convenient access to your cars, motorcycles, and bicycles, keeping them secure and out of inclement weather. But you can put your garage to work for you and increase your home's value with these improvements:
- Storage/Maintenance - Storage is one of the garage's primary functions, and with proper cabinets and shelving, you can reduce clutter while making things easier to find. A workspace for essential car and home maintenance is vital, and a dedicated spot for a workbench in your garage is ideal.
- Insulate - Insulating your garage makes it more climate controlled for storage in hot and cold weather and reduces energy used to heat and cool your home. The insulation also helps to reduce the noise heard in your home and can significantly help improve the comfort levels of any above garage rooms.
- Doors - Standard garage doors are rarely insulated and are the most significant uninsulated space in most homes. Home improvement stores have inexpensive garage door insulation kits that can help save you money through increased energy efficiency. Alternatively, consider replacing your existing door with a new insulated garage door. Your garage door can account for 30% of the exterior portion of your home visible from the street. New garage doors can bring more than 85% return on investment, according to Investopedia.com, and can quickly modernize your home and improve your home's curb appeal.
- Lighting - Proper lighting in a garage can transform your space from uncomfortable and fatiguing to functional and energizing. You'll want to install main light fixtures that are nice and bright while also saving special consideration for task lighting. Task lighting, such as under cabinet lighting, should address key areas like work benches or pet-wash stations and could even include fixtures designed specifically for auto maintenance and repair.
- Flooring - Garage floors need to be tough. They must support the weight of automobiles and other equipment and withstand any leaks or spills. Living in Northeast Indiana, we have regular snow and salted roads, so some garage floor treatments aren't ideal. Painted floors can be easily damaged by salt, while a poured epoxy coating or interlocking garage floor tiles often perform much better in our region. Whichever you choose, upgraded garage flooring provides a permanent non-slip surface for an instant home value boost.
If you’re thinking about improving your garage to increase your home’s value and energy use, give us a call. The professional Realtors® of Mike Thomas Associates know which features are worth the investment cost in a garage remodel. We’re here to help you!