THE ART OF ENTERTAINING
Part of turning your house into a home is filling it with friends, love, and laughter. With the holidays drawing near, throwing a party is a great way to bring people together. Whether you have an intimate gathering or a large soirée, planning an event can sometimes seem daunting. Hosting is more than just providing food. Here are a few tips to refine your entertaining art.
- Party Preparations – Sending invitations well in advance with all important event information ensures that your guests will have a chance to clear their calendars and RSVP. Preparing food and drinks ahead of time seems like a given. To take your occasion to the next level, consider using some of your budget to cater part of your party and make getting ready for guests a breeze. If you choose your caterer wisely, you can get more value for your money than when you cook from scratch.
- Create the Perfect Atmosphere – When decorating for a get-together, consider choosing a theme. Using fresh flowers or aromatic greenery adds a touch of romance and whimsy to any setting. Playing music also helps to create an atmosphere in which guests feel relaxed. For an event that will leave a lasting impression, give thought to hiring a live musician or band.
- Make a Good First Impression – Make your front porch warm and welcoming with bright colors, pretty details, and lots of light. Take the time to greet each guest at the door to set them at ease. Artfully display your food and beverages to charm and captivate your guests.
A successfully hosted event helps to nurture and
develop long lasting relationships.
- Build Relationships – If you are inviting many people that don't know each other, consider using name tags. As a host you can be a catalyst to help your guests get to know one another. In this lively environment, you can help them feel comfortable and connected while enjoying themselves.
- Planned Activities – Give your guests something to do, but be flexible in your itinerary. Make sure there are various activities for people to try. While some guests may enjoy competitive games or party activities, you will also want to ensure that there are comfortable places for others to just chat.
- Have Fun – Don't forget to take the time to enjoy yourself and your guests in the midst of hosting. When you are relaxed and having fun, your guests will remember the magical atmosphere you worked to create for years to come.
One of the most rewarding parts of entertaining is seeing your guests enjoy their time in your home. Even as other home-related trends come and go, being a gracious host is truly a timeless art. The idea that you’re making someone feel comfortable in your home will never go out of style. If you are looking for the perfect home for entertaining, the expert Realtors® of Mike Thomas Associates are here to help, give us a call today!