We all want to feel safe in our homes and protect our loved ones. As a homeowner, it’s vital to take the time to employ safety measures.
FIRE PREVENTION & SAFETY
We all know the drill, right? But have we completed the necessary steps? Prepare your home for a fire emergency, and establish a family emergency plan. Actually do this, and walk your children through what to do. Ensuring everyone knows what to do in an emergency will build good habits and could save lives. Along with these plans, be sure to take the following preventative measures in your home.
- Use surge protectors and don’t overload sockets.
Keep fire extinguishers near the kitchen with spares on each level of the home.
- Be sure to test smoke detectors once a month and replace batteries yearly.
- There should be smoke/carbon monoxide detectors on each level of the home as well as outside of sleeping areas.
- If you have a home with a second story, invest in fire escape ladders and know how to use them.
Preventing a home burglary is rarely something that crosses our minds, but there are things that you can do to reduce your chance of having a home break-in.
- Be sure to make your home look occupied at all times and well-lit at night. Consider purchasing solar-powered landscape lights for an inexpensive way to beautify your home and provide extra security.
- Installing a video doorbell is an affordable way to keep an eye on things, as most home invasions happen during the day while occupants are away at work.
- If you are away from your home for an extended period, make arrangements for your lawn to be mowed and put mail and newspaper deliveries on hold so your absence is not noticeable to strangers.
- Secure any sliding glass doors with additional anti-burglary bars.
- Whole-home alarm systems are much more cost-effective than in the past. They provide homeowners peace of mind whether they are home or away. Take advantage of technology and add video monitors in a few places. You can monitor the video feed while at work.
The real estate professionals of Mike Thomas Associates know how much your loved ones mean to you, and we care about you and your family’s safety. Our local family-owned business has been serving NE Indiana since 1977, and we love to help our clients navigate their move and get acclimated and settled into their new home and community. If you or your family or friends have any real estate needs or questions, please give us a call at (260) 489-2000.